Thursday, February 21, 2013

Working Overseas


If you work outside of the United States on a U.S. military base as non military personnel, then you are required to have DBA insurance. Defense Base Act (DBA) insurance is congressionally mandated workers compensation for all civilian employees working on U.S. military bases overseas. Although your employer is responsible for providing this for you, it might be wise to consider other types of insurance in addition to DBA insurance.

Working outside of the United States on a U.S. military base can be hazardous in today’s world. For this reason DBA insurance rates in 2012 remained on a fixed price contract to help keep the cost down for employers. Adding additional insurance for yourself would ensure your family would be taken care of if anything should happen to you while you are working abroad. Here are some types of insurance to consider:

Accidental death travel insurance. This type of insurance provides anywhere from $500,000 up to $1,000,000 for your beneficiary in the event you die accidentally while overseas. This insurance also includes money towards repatriation of remains, so your body could be brought home and buried close to your family.

Emergency evacuation insurance. Emergency evacuation insurance provides you with medical evacuation should you be working in a country where no proper medical facilities are close by. In a medical emergency, this insurance would pay the travel costs associated with moving you, and in some instances you can purchase an upgrade so that you can be evacuated to a medical facility of your choosing.

Another emergency that may be covered by emergency evacuation insurance is a security emergency evacuation. Think about all the embassy’s the United States has had to evacuate this year to do violence. This type of insurance would help cover the cost of getting you to safety should the base you’re working at become unsecure.

Flight insurance. Since you already work for a company that sends you overseas on a regular basis, flight insurance might be a good thing to have. Flight insurance covers you should anything happen while you are flying. If there is an accident, a medical emergency, or your baggage gets delayed or lost, flight insurance will have you covered. Mutual of Omaha flight insurance can actually be purchased from a kiosk in many airports if you don’t have enough time before your trip to talk to your insurance agent.

Working on a U.S. military base as a civilian means that you are already covered by the Defense Base Act should you be injured on the job. This doesn’t mean that your family is covered should anything happen to you while you are working overseas. Think of them and consider purchasing additional insurance.  That way you can have the peace of mind of knowing they will be taken care of if the worst should happen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this information. You can find several jobs abroad that can fit your skills and knowledge as well. You need to be acquainted on legal matters especially when you will work in other countries.